2. What information the Site collects
We limit the personal information that we collect to what is necessary for the purposes that we have identified. The types of information that we collect include:
Information you provide directly to us:
You are not required to provide information directly to us in order to view the Site. However, when you use certain Site functions, such as when you register for certain services, access certain content or features, or directly contact the Site, we may ask you to provide information, including:
- Registration and contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, and mobile number;
- username and password;
- information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features;
- search queries conducted on the Site; and
- correspondence you send to us.
Information automatically collected when you visit and interact with the Site:
When you visit and interact with the Site, certain information may be collected automatically, including:
- your computer's Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- your browser type and operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Site;
- activities within community discussions;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the Site;
- information about the searches you perform on the Site and how you use the results of those searches;
- information about the services that you use on the Site, how frequently you use them; and your responses to the offerings and advertisements presented on the Site, including those available through third party websites
- your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs that are installed on your computer;
- aggregated data about email click-through rates and user video viewing;
- location data and other information about mobile devices used to access and interact with the Site;
- standard server log information; and
- information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
For more information, please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies.
Information we collect from other sources:
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms (such as social networking sites, databases, online marketing firms, and ad targeting firms), including:
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through the Site, your username and connection lists for those services;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and information about how many times you viewed a particular ad; and
- unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that the Site may combine the information that we collect with information we obtain from third-party sources.
3. How We Use the Information that We Collect
We collect information for one or more of the following purposes:
We may use the information that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as editorial updates, information about your account or changes to the Site, and promotional messages about our own or our marketing partners' products and services. If you signed up for one of our email newsletters, we also will send you the newsletter that you requested.
With your consent, we may use your mobile number to send you promotions, notifications, or other services.
In order to provide our readers with free access to our content, we display advertisements on the Site. To create a more customized online experience for you, some of the ads you may receive are tailored to your preferences using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, such as ad networks which help us to present customized content and advertisements on the Site. Through this process, advertisers reach Site visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested. For more information on how cookies and other technologies work, please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies.
To provide you with an open, but also civil, discussion forum, we track user involvement in our community discussions. For example, we keep track of the ratio of how many flagged comments are eventually deleted in order to award badges to our most effective comment moderators. For more information on this process, please see our FAQ section about comment moderation guidelines.
We may use the information that we collect to fulfill your requests for products, services, and information. For example, we may use your contact information to respond to your customer service requests or to enable you to participate in features on the Site such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards.
In order to learn more about how our Site is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to monitor and analyze use of the Site, to increase our Site's functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors' needs.
We may use the information that we collect to meet legal and regulatory requirements, to prevent illegal activities, to enforce the Site's Terms and Conditions, and to otherwise protect our rights and the rights of our users.
4. Information Sharing
The Traffic-Cams.com values your privacy, and shares information about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make information about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated information or information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on the Site.
- We may employ third parties to perform Site-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the site, such as posting comments on community message boards, any information you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
- We may share information about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, violations of the Site's Terms and Conditions, or as otherwise required by law.
- We may share information about you to respond to court orders, search warrants, judicial proceedings, subpoenas, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Please note that third parties may independently collect data about you, including your IP address and information about the websites you visit and the links you click, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on the Site. For more information, see our section on cookies and other technologies and third party advertising.
5. Third-party Services
To customize your experience on the Site and to simplify the Site's registration process, we provide you with the opportunity to access or interact with third-party services, such as Facebook and Twitter. When you connect to the Site through these third-party services, we may share information about you with these third-party service providers and they may share data about you with us.
When you allow us to access your data through a third-party service to create a Site profile, we may use this data for several purposes, including:
- Creating relationships automatically within our system. For example, if you connect to us via a service with a public friend list, like Twitter, we may check to see if any people you follow on Twitter are also Site members. If we find a match, we will replicate your Twitter relationship with those members, setting them to be fans, followers, or friends on our Site.
- Suggesting relationships. For example, if you connect via a service that has a private contact list (like Google and Yahoo!), we check for people in your contacts who are Site members and suggest that you become a fan of these users. This process is not automatic; you must affirmatively choose to become a fan of these suggested users.
- Populating a list of potential friends to whom you can send emails. When users share content with their friends using, for example, the forward-to-a-friend feature on the Site, we may use friend lists from third-party services to create a list of contacts to whom you may choose to send the email message.
- Populating a list of potential friends to whom you can send service-specific messages. For example, we may use friend lists from a third-party service to create a list of contacts to whom you may choose to send an invitation to view an interactive slideshow.
- To enhance and personalize your experience on the Site. When you are connected via a third-party service, we may access certain account information, such as your profile picture, what stories are popular in your network, and what your friends are saying about certain articles or blog posts, in order to enhance and personalize your experience on the Site.
In addition, if you connect to a Facebook account, your experience on the Site may be personalized. For example, you may automatically see what stories are popular in your network, and what your friends are saying about particular stories.
Please note that you may disconnect third party accounts at any time. Click here for a link to your social profile, where you may set your privacy preferences or disconnect all of your third-party service accounts. You also may be able to modify your privacy settings directly with the third-party service. To modify your Facebook privacy settings, click here. To modify your Twitter privacy settings, click here.
Please remember that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party services. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all third-party service providers.
6. Your Choices
We are committed to offering you meaningful privacy choices regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. This includes the opportunity to:
Deactivate your account
You can deactivate your account at any time by visiting the preferences page for your profile. When you deactivate your account, your user profile will be disabled, but your public comments will remain on the site. The Site has no responsibility to take down, remove, or edit any of your public activities or any submissions that are a result of your public activities. For more information, please review our Terms and Conditions.
7. Ads, Cookies and Other Technologies
You can learn more about cookies and ads, and how to opt out by visiting the following URL: http://www.aboutads.info
As discussed in the sections on cookies and other technologies and third party advertising, some information is collected about you automatically through cookies and other technologies to customize your online experience. You can opt out of the use of your information for targeting purposes through the following procedures:
- Cookies. You can change your browser settings to reject all cookies, accept only certain cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Please note that you may need to renew these settings if you delete your cookies after these preferences are made. These settings also may not apply if you are using a different computer or Internet browser. In addition, many third-party advertising networks are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). To opt out of having information collected by NAI member companies used for behavioural advertising, to obtain information about the technologies these ad networks might use, and to view information regarding their privacy policies, please visit http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
- Flash Cookies. You can control how Flash cookies are used by visiting the Adobe Macromedia site, located here. Adobe enables you to allow some Flash cookies from certain websites, limit Flash cookies' storage capacity, and disallow Flash cookies altogether. In addition, if you use Mozilla Firefox for your Internet browser, you can download the BetterPrivacy add-on to automatically delete your Flash cookies every time you close your browser.
If you opt out of these technologies, you will continue to see advertising displayed on the Site, but the advertising may not be targeted to your interests.
We will make available to you any of your personal information that we have collected, used or disclosed upon request. Please contact us through our Contact Form
We ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. You can challenge the accuracy of the information and request amendments as appropriate by contacting us through our Contact Form
9. Confidentiality and Security
We have privacy and security practices in place to safeguard your personal information. We retain personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law. We also limit access to information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. Moreover, we have adopted commercially reasonable technical, physical, and administrative procedures to help protect your personal information from loss or theft and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Site, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
10. Information May Be Collected, Transferred, Stored, or Processed Outside of the United States
The Traffic-Cams.com and its third party partners to whom we disclose information under this policy may perform activities outside of the United States and potentially collect, transfer, store, and process your personal information in other countries. As a result, your information may be subject to the laws of those countries. These laws may not be equivalent to the privacy and data protection laws in the United States. Information may be disclosed in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts, or law enforcement in these countries. By using this Site or providing us with your information, you consent to the potential collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information in other countries.
11. Children's Guidelines
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent, we will delete that information from our database as quickly as possible. If you believe that we may have collected information from a child under 13, please contact us through our Contact Form
13. Addressing Your Concerns